We moved to Welwyn Garden City in January so we haven’t experienced Christmas here yet. Because of that I had no idea what to expect so I figured the best way was to ask a local parents group on Facebook what their highlights are – it’s so easy to find a list of ‘what’s on’, but sometimes only a local’s knowledge can give you a real insight in to what to do in your area. So here’s my list of things to do this Christmas in Welwyn Garden City and nearby.
- See all of the houses in Handside with their Christmas lights, apparently there’s even one with a ‘real santa’ in the window.
- Van Hages Garden Centre near Ware was recommended by so many that we are just going to have to go. I’ve been told there’s Santa, ice skating and a mini steam train!
- St Francis Christmas Tree Festival
- Panto at Campus West, this year it’s Cinderella
- Santa at Willows Farm is also very popular amongst the locals, the ticket prices look quite hefty to me, but this year they let you do a ‘make-a-bear’.
I’ve never done any of these (obviously) so I can’t vouch for them being great, but they were all really highly recommended by local parents. We went to the light switch on, it was a bit noisy and busy for Oliver but I imagine that he will like it when he’s older; he did enjoy one of the rides though (and a hot chocolate with marshmallows in Costa) and loved looking at the Christmas lights despite missing the switch on after a wee emergency.
What do you enjoy in your local area? Are you local to me and have more tips for Christmas in Welwyn Garden City? I’d love to hear more about the local area since moving here.